Pomolita Middle School
740 North Spring Street. Ukiah, Ca 95482. (707) 472-5350 FAX (707) 463-5203
Bryan Barrett, Principal Caroline Blair, Assistant Principal Jim Evans, Assistant Principal
Naomi Rhodes Counselor Heath McNerney Counselor
SCHOOL HOURS: 8:25 – 3:10
Wednesdays: 8:25 – 1:40
Dear Pomolita Middle School Families:
Welcome to Pomolita 2017-2018! We hope that your summer has been fun-filled and that you are ready to start a terrific school year. Please call the Pomolita office if there is a problem with a placement level and ask for Assistant Principal Caroline Blair. The first day of class is Monday, August 21nd. School is starting 10 minutes later this year to ease the Dora street congestion. First bell will be at 8:20. Chromebook bell (for students who forgot their device) will be al 8:15. Students should be here by 8:15 a.m. Breakfast is served from 7:45 – 8:25 a.m. The first class starts at 8:25 a.m.
- The New Student Orientation is Thursday, August 17th, 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. All students and parents are invited to Pomolita’s Chessall Gymnasium for the New Student Orientation. After a brief introduction by our Principal, Bryan Barrett, Vice Principals, Caroline Blair and James Evans, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and classrooms. You will also meet your teachers. PE uniforms will be available to purchase after the introductions.
- All 6th Grade Students are invited to attend a special Orientation on Thursday, August 17th, at
8:00 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Pomolita gym. Students will meet in small groups led by Pomolita 8th grade students to play games, get to know the campus and talk about strategies for success as they transition from Elementary Schools. This program has been very successful here and in schools across the country and we hope that all 6th graders will attend.
- The Physical Education Department requires students to wear an approved P. E. uniform in P. E. class. The P. E. clothing will be sold after the New Student Orientation in the gym hallway. The prices are as follows with sizes XX and XXX available at additional cost:
- T-shirt $6.00 Sweatshirt $12.00
- Shorts $9.00 Sweatpants $13.00
If this cost is a hardship at this time, please contact the school office.
- The School Office is open 7:35 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. The school phone number is 472-5350.
After School Programs or ASES will be offered until 6:00 p.m. M-F. The program will include Tutorial, Recreational/Enrichment Activities and school sports. Bussing will be available the first week of school and leaves the school after the tutoring hour. After that time it will be the parents’ responsibility to pick up the students before 6:00 p.m. Registration forms are available in the school office. The after school program will be available on the first day of school.
- Picture Day will be Thursday, August 24th. Photos are taken during the student’s P.E. class. There will be a make-up day in October. If you would like to volunteer to help either day, please call the school office.
- Visit Pomolita’s new website to view our school information and calendar. Log in to www.uusd.net. At the top click “Our School” and select “Pomolita Middle School.”
- Please plan to attend Pomolita’s Back to School Night scheduled for Tuesday, September 12th. Parents will meet with their student’s teachers/visit their classrooms from 5:30 - 7:15 p.m.
- Our students are expected to dress in a manner which promotes a safe and positive learning environment.
- Pomolita PTO supports classroom learning and raises money all year long for school events and needs. In the past years, we have raised money for technology, new library books and shelves, school assemblies, and maps for the classrooms. We also provide awards for assemblies and positive incentives for students. In a perfect world, every family would be a part of the PTO and volunteer at the school. We know that not everyone has a schedule that allows for volunteering and /or the funds for a donation. We are thankful for any and all support you can provide!
- We encourage all parents and guardians to actively participate in the education of their children during the years that they are at Pomolita. You are welcome to volunteer to work with your child’s teachers and help out in classrooms or activities. You may be interested in joining the Athletic Boosters, English Language Advisory Committee, School Site Council or PTO. Information about these organizations’ first meetings will be made available to you as soon as possible.
Student attendance at school is mandatory by law. There are only four legal reasons for excused absences: medical, dental, illness, or death of a close relative. If your child must be absent for a non-excused reason, please check with the office about independent study. When your child is ill and you visit a doctor, bring a doctor’s note to the school office. If you have a dental or doctor appointment before the school day begins, please bring a note from the medical office to verify the tardy. Attendance is important; please try to schedule all appointments before and after school. Please communicate reasons for absences by phone or in writing to the office as soon as possible. If your student has an appointment, you may call the office and we will call your student out of class so they will be ready when you need to pick them up. We are very excited about a new addition of a Ukiah Police Officer to our campus this year. The officer is part of a new grant and will be working with families to improve attendance throughout the district.
If your child needs medication (prescription or over the counter) during school hours, you need a “UUSD Medication Form” on file in the office. This form needs to be in the office before medication can be dispensed. A physician MUST complete the UUSD Medication Form. Your physician can fax the form to 463-5203. Forms must be renewed each school year.
Bicycles, Skateboards, and Safety
- Students are welcome to ride their bicycles to school. Students need to lock their bikes to the bike racks and bikes must be walked on school grounds. Law requires bicycle helmets to be worn when riding a bike. Please review bicycle rules with your child. Skateboards are not allowed on campus. If a child uses a skateboard as transportation to school they must leave it in the office.
- Drop off and pick up of students is a hectic time. Please be careful driving in the school parking lot. To avoid the hectic times, drop off students by 8:00 a.m. and pick up at 3:20 p.m.
We look forward to the start of school.